Dating someone who comes from a different culture holds a lot of appeal and mystery at first. And it’s no secret about the phenomena of British men dating American women. If you’re into British guys as well, here are a few things to consider.
1) You man think that because you and your British date speak the same language, you don’t really have to worry about cultural differences. This is a mistake. Now, not only will you be dealing with the usual differences in the way women and men think, you will also have to deal with this cultural difference which makes things a little more complicated. British men are not as outwardly emotional as Americans. They may consider it inappropriate (or babyish) to cry in front of you and are definitely not the types to go into counseling or get psychiatric help. Also, he probably won’t react to some things that you find surprising, scary, sad, etc. The stiff upper lip as they say. . .If you can be open-minded about these differences, his behavior might even start to rub off on you in a positive way.
2) The language barrier – the least obvious challenge for British men dating American women. Yes, we just mentioned that you speak more or less the same language. But many American words are different than English words. For example, pants in America are slacks or trousers. In England, they are underwear. And don’t get too excited if you’re driving along with your new British boyfriend and he suggests a lay-by (Brit-speak for a rest area).
There are thousands of words that differ and you’ll eventually work them out and even have fun with them. Also, some American women find it hard to understand the British accent at first, especially if he speaks with a strong accent (such as Cockney) – If you’ve only just met, and your bloke has a strong accent such as Cockney, you may have a bit of trouble understanding him.
3) Sometimes you’ll have to remind yourself that you’re dating the guy. . . not the accent. Like all of us, British men want to be appreciated for who they are and not where they were born.
4) Keep in mind that you aren’t the only one with a soft spot for British men. You may find that you have to deal with a lot of competition in first getting a British guy and then, keeping him.
5) British guys are natural metrosexuals (meaning that they hold a strong concern for their appearance and adhere to a lifestyle that displays attributes stereotypically associated with homosexual men). No need to worry about this. It’s the Euro influence. Their sense of dress, interest in art, politics and culture and less overt machismo all contribute to how attractive they are.
If you plan to be part of the trend of British men dating American women, hopefully these tips will help you in your endeavor.